Author Topic: Four weeks to go!  (Read 3166 times)

Offline WA9JOB

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
Four weeks to go!
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »
Tomorrow, Thursday, marks only four weeks before the annual trek to the Dayton Hamvention.  The count in our group is ten.  We are going down in two cars, with Tom W9IPR, pulling his trailer.  He will haul the Scholarship items along with a small table, umbrella, and chairs, to be used in the excellent, traditional spot that we've used since Dave Knaus W9QA (ex WA9POV) acquired it years ago.  You need to understand that with all the hype and excitement at the Hamvention, there are also the gatherings at the Texas Roadhouse, the early morning breakfast sessions in the hotel, the enjoyment of the road trip, and the social gatherings in someone's room, with a friendly cooler, that make these trips memorable.  I'm sorry you will miss this!

Nels....
Nels Harvey WA9JOB
The Jolly Ole Bootlegger

Offline N9LOO

• Administrator
  • "Lousy Old Operator"
    • View Profile
    • N9LOO website
Re: Four weeks to go!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
Tomorrow, Thursday, marks only four weeks before the annual trek to the Dayton Hamvention.  The count in our group is ten.  We are going down in two cars, with Tom W9IPR, pulling his trailer.  He will haul the Scholarship items along with a small table, umbrella, and chairs, to be used in the excellent, traditional spot that we've used since Dave Knaus W9QA (ex WA9POV) acquired it years ago.  You need to understand that with all the hype and excitement at the Hamvention, there are also the gatherings at the Texas Roadhouse, the early morning breakfast sessions in the hotel, the enjoyment of the road trip, and the social gatherings in someone's room, with a friendly cooler, that make these trips memorable.  I'm sorry you will miss this!

Nels....
I'll go ahead and advertise this on the main club site like I did last year.

Offline K9DJT

• ORC Member
  • ORC President
    • View Profile
    • QRZ Page
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »
Seeing this is my first time I am attending Dayton, I am not sure how everyone travels.  Is each vehicle on their own, or do you travel as a group?  What time does everyone typically leave on Thursday?

Right now I am planning to travel with Ken Boston, W9GA, and staying at the hotel where everyone normally stays.  I think Ken might be staying somewhere else but said he would drop me off at my hotel.

Hope someone can bring me up to speed.

Tnx and 73,
Gary
K9DJT

Offline KC9ONY

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:16:19 PM »
Last year was my first time.   I rode with Loren, N9ENR and Steve, W9MCU.   We took Steve's
van, and had purchased a spot to sell, so the van was full of stuff.    Since they had been there
before, I liked that I didn't have to know my way around.   They picked the hotel and made the
arrangements.   All I did was pay my fair share.

I want to say we left sometime between 11 am and noon, after we had loaded up the van
on Thursday morning.

Hope this helps.

Offline WA9JOB

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
Gabe WI9GC, will be taking John W9FAD, Jim K9QLP and me, WA9JOB to the Hamvention.  I have tickets for the site, as well as for Gary W9DJT, Tom W9IPR, Ray W9BUJ, his nephew Roger, Ed AA9WW, and Ed AA9W.  Tickets cost $20.00 advance, $25.00 at the door. 

Gabe plans to pick me up last, at about 8:00 A.M. Thursday morning.  After losing an hour to the time zone change, we will get to the hotel about 4:00 P.M.  I wish all of you could join us for a weekend of fun and great food!

73, Nels....
Nels Harvey WA9JOB
The Jolly Ole Bootlegger

Offline K9DJT

• ORC Member
  • ORC President
    • View Profile
    • QRZ Page
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »
Ken, W9GA, will be picking me up at the Ryan Road park and ride at about 9:45 AM on Thursday.  I should arrive at the hotel not long after you guys.

Look forward to seeing you.

Gary
K9DJT

Offline WA9JOB

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
My bags are packed.  I didn't forget the tickets!  Gabe will pick me up in the morning.  My daughter is in town to plant our posies while I'm away.  Someone, please order sunshine for us there in Dayton.
Nels Harvey WA9JOB
The Jolly Ole Bootlegger

Offline N9LOO

• Administrator
  • "Lousy Old Operator"
    • View Profile
    • N9LOO website
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »
Still not completely packed nor do I have my list together but I'll be meeting up with Ted, KB9RLI, tomorrow morning and heading out to Dayton as well.  Perhaps we'll be able to meet up with some of you for lunch.  Let's hope the rain holds off for us!