Author Topic: 440 band QRM  (Read 2208 times)

Offline KD9AAD

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
440 band QRM
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:35:15 PM »
Does anyone else notice a lot of interference when driving on the 440 band? It's almost to the point where I want to lock out these frequencies from the scan list on my mobile. It seems to be in the same spots in Cedarburg, Grafton and near my work in Glendale.

I see it around 443 MHz and 444MHz.

It actually sounds like broadcast, could it be cable TV leaking out?

Anyone else?

Bob
KD9AAD

Offline KC9ONY

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 440 band QRM
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
I was driving home from 92nd and Silver Spring, and was going to try and hit the ORC 440 repeater
to see if I could.    I noticed that the radio showed a signal present, but it wasn't breaking my
squelch.   Of course, I have the radio set for only opening with the PL tone present.    I did not have
time to stop and try a scan on my HT.   Then again, I haven't used that feature on the HT in a long
time, so it would take me 20 minutes to figure it out.   :-[

I'll ask around at work.

Offline KD9AAD

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
Now that you mention it, I think I have the PLs only on the transmit side. (slapping forehead)

Try VFO to the 440 repeater out frequency (no RX PL) and drive a bit. You will notice it for sure right where Sheboygan RD hits Washington ave downtown Cedarburg.

Bob

Offline KC9ONY

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 08:25:34 PM »
Now that you mention it, I think I have the PLs only on the transmit side. (slapping forehead)

Try VFO to the 440 repeater out frequency (no RX PL) and drive a bit. You will notice it for sure right where Sheboygan RD hits Washington ave downtown Cedarburg.

Bob

Can you take a selfie of the forehead slapping?   ;D

I was monitoring the ORC 2m today.   I noticed on the radio that there was alot of noise,
but of course I wasn't hearing it because of the tone squelch.

I turned on my scanner and found noise all over the place.    Sometimes it was pulsing, and
sometimes just white noise like.   I never heard anything like cable channel audio or tv audio.
Unfortunately, I didn't write down the frequencies....so perhaps I should slap my own forehead!  :-[

Tom KC9ONY

Offline WA9JOB

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »
I have found a lot of digital noise parked near the 224.18 repeater on the input frequency. I think it's digital cable leakage that doesn't get identified as cable leakage. K9QLP has complained often about interference on his 442.100 repeater. It seems to be all around Cedarburg.

Nels...WA9JOB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nels Harvey WA9JOB
The Jolly Ole Bootlegger

Offline KD9AAD

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »
Try setting your VFO to the output frequency of our 440 repeater, with no PL squelching. Drive around town. It's bad....

You can clearly hear audio, voices and music, not HAM, its broadcast style TV audio.

I haven't noticed much on 2m.