Author Topic: Tips on tuning a dipole array burried in the attic/ceiling  (Read 3372 times)

Offline K9VIN

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
Tips on tuning a dipole array burried in the attic/ceiling
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:20:03 AM »

I Am finally getting more into HF.   A newer member loaned me his antenna tuner, and I found that I had never finalized the soldering on the tuner end of the antenna.  Duh.  BTW, I didnt need his tuner to tell me that, but it was the reason I took the antenna off the tuner and realized . . .  Thanks Todd Seeland!

Now I seem to get out much better, but with his tuner the best I get is SWR 1.7 or 1.9, and mostly 2 and 3's.

A little history here, I put an addition in my house, and when the scaffolding was in the master suite, I ran three dipoles, all connected, through the roof joists, and all of them terminate outside the building under the soffit at a screw-eye, where then each of the antenna's extended with the requisite number of feet of more wire, 10? 20? 30?, out each end of the house.

Now, you see the problem coming . . .

I strung THREE dipoles, and that was 11 years ago.   So I believe one was a 40 meter, and one was a 80 meter, and can someone refresh my memory on this trap dipole I might have built?   would it cover 40, 80 and 160?

So as I want to tune it better (my natural swr for 160 meters is like 6:1), is there any mystical way to know on which antenna my unit is resonating on at any certain frequency? I guess I dont know which antenna to attach the alligator clips with another foot or two of wire to . . .   or is it a shell game? 

Chalk it up to the young guy rushing in, and now scratching my head :-) 

Additionally, I have no access to the traps in the trap dipole, so if I extend the ends will it only affect 160M?    Is it worth my time, i.e. is there much traffic for a General Class bloke like myself on 160?

Thanks for giggling through this one.

Cheers

Offline K9DJT

• ORC Member
  • ORC President
    • View Profile
    • QRZ Page
Re: Tips on tuning a dipole array burried in the attic/ceiling
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:32:59 PM »
Hi Kevin. You and I met at the swapfest. I don't fully understand your ant system. Do you have three dipoles connected together or a trap dipole? (A trap dipole would be two wires, both divided by traps, i.e., a coil capacitor combo.) if you could scan a sketch of it and post would be very helpful. Welcome back!

73, Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline K9VIN

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:02:22 AM »
I dont have a picture, but I am still looking.

I believe it was a trap dipole for 20/40/80, which makes sense.  they are all soldered to the balun in the ceiling.  However, the last 10 feet of each dipole is outside of the building, so i think I am good there.

I actually seem to be getting out pretty well recently, and just spoke with Finland this evening, with under 100 watts.

Offline K9DJT

• ORC Member
  • ORC President
    • View Profile
    • QRZ Page
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »
Can you draw some kind of sketch of what you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk