Author Topic: Looking for anything special while at the Hamvention?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline KC9ONY

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Looking for anything special while at the Hamvention?
« on: May 09, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
For those of you going to the Dayton Hamvention, are you looking for anything in particular?
Parts? 
Repairable radios?   
Antennas?
Manufacturer exhibits?
Balloon launch?   (they are going to have a slow scan tv camera)

Are you going to any of the forums?  http://hamvention.org/forums.php

Offline N9LOO

• ORC Member
  • "Lousy Old Operator"
    • View Profile
    • N9LOO website
Re: Looking for anything special while at the Hamvention?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »
I'll be looking at HF antennas and a dual-band mobile radio for my vehicles.  Of course, I'll probably bring back more than I planned on and completely off the list.   8)

Offline WA9JOB

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 11:52:40 AM »
I enjoyed my trip down to the Hamvention.  I was very pleased with how Ed Rate AA9W,  had acquired three more spaces in back of the original space that I had turned over to the Club after many years of my use.  I don't know yet how the Scholarship sales finished up, but there was a whole lot of customers eager to buy items on the six, or seven tables that there now is room for. Cudo's to Ed!

The Dayton weekend is something, not only for the Hamvention, but for the camaraderie of our group.  From long conversations while in the car, to watching the Preakness horse race while enjoying a juicy steak and a tall cold one, breakfast at the hotel in the mornings, and our annual trip to the Texas Roadhouse, that makes this a complete getaway weekend.

Of course, there also are sore feet, rain, hail, cold this year, sunburn, and crowds.  One finds interesting salesmen, junk, things one really needs, negotiation, things one really doesn't need, and, did I mention sore feet?

What did I get from the Hamvention?  Well, when I got home, I found a roll of sticky tape, two little drill bits for my Dremel tool, an electric de-soldering iron, three cans of warm beer (I had brought four!) some Velcro, an L.E.D. flashlight, and a power nut driver set for my drill, with both standard and metric wrench sizes!

All of the above only cost me the hotel bill, a couple of tanks of gas, twenty bucks admission, and about twenty bucks per night for the restaurants!  To me, it was well worth it!

73, Nels....
Nels Harvey WA9JOB
The Jolly Ole Bootlegger

Offline N9LOO

• ORC Member
  • "Lousy Old Operator"
    • View Profile
    • N9LOO website
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
I agree Nels that Ed and the crew did a fantastic job setting up the new site.  It seemed to work out great with the tables spanning two sites so buyers could browse either side of the isle.

The crowds weren't to bad this year.  Seemed a bit down from last year as the buildings were still manageable during the rain showers.

I picked up a couple new mobile dual-bander radios.  Got them both installed and hard-wired to the battery -- initial reports are good so far.

Hope to be back again next year!