Author Topic: Antenna ID required x3  (Read 1848 times)

Offline K9VIN

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
Antenna ID required x3
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:56:10 PM »
I am purchasing a piece of lake property near Crandon, and this tower is attached   ;D

However I dont know what the antennas are.   The house bracket is at 9 feet, and the tower is four 10-foot sections pluss the rotor section.   
HOWEVER, the top Vertical and rotor wires have been cut.   The property was in foreclosure, so who knows why.   
The lower vertical appears to be about 18 feet tall, and still attached to RG-8 into the house, but I have yet to put a analyzer on it.   before a dipole, could a tuner use this vertical on most bands?

I have no clue if the  yagi is even radio, or maybe HD.

Please advise.

I need to climb to repair, and will need tips.     Shouldn't there be guy wires at aboyt 25/30 feet?

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:02:28 PM by K9VIN »

Offline K9DJT

• ORC Member
  • ORC President
    • View Profile
    • QRZ Page
Re: Antenna ID required x3
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:10:59 AM »
Hi Kevin,

As Tom, W9IPR, said on the ORC mailer; it appears to be a TV antenna on the top.  The vertical could be almost anything.  Unable to tell without some type of model number which could be Googled.

Regarding the tower itself.  It appears to be a Rohn 25G.  I have two of them at my QTH and have climbed several.  My understanding of the Rohn spec's is that it is a free standing tower at 30 feet with one yard of concrete at the base.  Also stated as 30 feet above a house bracket.  My understanding of your statement is that you have 40 feet plus the 9 foot top section.  If your house bracket is at 9 feet, that means you have 40 feet above the bracket.  With the small array on top as pictured, it has and most likely will stayed up.  I wouldn't want to put a tri-bander and/or additional wind loads on it without removing a 10 foot section.

As a side note, I would expect this posting in the antenna section of the forum rather than the "Wanted."  My thought is you'll receive more comments if you move it there.

Look forward to seeing you at the meeting tonight.

73, Gary
K9DJT