Author Topic: International Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend 8/17 - 8/18/2013  (Read 5430 times)

Offline KC9ONY

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Don't forget about the International Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend  8/17 - 8/18/2013.
In the past, ORC and LeFrog have combined talents to work this event.   Last year, we set up
a tower and beam, with greater results than in past years.   The ORC is already registered
for the event this year.

Last year, we were competing with the Port Washington Maritime Heritage Festival.
However, this year that event is scheduled one week after the ILLW.    We operated outside of the
1860 Light Station and Museum.
http://www.portwashingtonhistoricalsociety.org/lightstation.htm

For more information, check out:    http://www.illw.net/

Mark your calendars!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:21:16 PM by KC9ONY »

Offline KC9TSO

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
Re: International Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend 8/17 - 8/18/2013
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »
Tom, I brought up that I would be willing to loan my van with air mast if you wanted to setup a beam antenna. You can turn the mast by hand but a rotor would make life easier. You climb on top of the van from a ladder on the rear door. There is a platform on top of the van that would support two people placing the antenna on a waist/chest high mast.

The mast can be up in a matter of minutes. Only two people would even be needed to install and operate it. It would seem to make more sense than putting up a tilt tower considering the time and man power needed.

Let me know what you would like. I hope to come out and operate but I'm unsure how my schedule is right now.

Nate

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline KC9ONY

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 05:49:16 AM »
Tom, I brought up that I would be willing to loan my van with air mast if you wanted to setup a beam antenna. You can turn the mast by hand but a rotor would make life easier. You climb on top of the van from a ladder on the rear door. There is a platform on top of the van that would support two people placing the antenna on a waist/chest high mast.

The mast can be up in a matter of minutes. Only two people would even be needed to install and operate it. It would seem to make more sense than putting up a tilt tower considering the time and man power needed.

Let me know what you would like. I hope to come out and operate but I'm unsure how my schedule is right now.

Nate

Nate,
   That is an interesting idea.   First thing that comes to mind is the limited parking around the
museum.    We have to respect the neighbors and also keep the visitor parking open for the
guests that come to the museum.    There is no parking lot, so street parking is at a premium.
There is also a church nearby.

How high does that mast go up?   Is this a former radio or television remote truck?
Is there a generator onboard to run an air compressor?    How much weight can it handle?
Last year we used a Cushcraft AS4 beam with a rotor.

Part of the "fun" of events like this is setting up and tearing down.   Yes, it is work.
We used LeFrog's aluminum tower and base plate.    In fact, most of the gear is LeFrog's.
Some of us are in both the ORC and LeFrog clubs, so it's a joint effort.   It's also a good exercise
in setting up towers, as we did not do JOTA this year, and FD is about the only time we set up.

I'll run it by some of the members who participate every year and see what they have to say.
I guess if we don't get permission to set up on the vacant property, that would be a good
alternative as well.

Tom KC9ONY

Offline KC9TSO

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 06:48:14 AM »
It is a former 620wtmj van. It has an on board generator but it isn't hooked up right now. I use a compressed air tank to lift the mass. I am unsure about the mast capacity but I don't think any beam would be too heavy for it. Whatever you guys would like is fine by me. Just trying to make life easy if you want it.

Offline KC9ONY

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:41:22 PM »
I talked with Loren, N9ENR about this, and he feels that the tri-band beam we use will be too
heavy for that mast.   We use a Cushcraft AS4 (20m, 15m, 10m) beam.    Assuming we get
permission from the land owners for the temporary tower again, I'm not sure that they would
let you pull up on the grass.

However, Loren thought that if you were to park on the street, by the northwest side of the lot,
we could possibly run one end of a dipole to that mast.

There is still time to discuss various options.

Tom KC9ONY

Offline KC9TSO

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 12:02:25 PM »
How much does the tried bander  weigh?

Offline KC9ONY

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:45 PM »

International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend
Friday afternoon/evening, August 16th, members of LeFrog and the Ozaukee Radio Club
will be setting up a 30' Tower and a Tri-Band Beam on the property adjacent to the
1860 Light Station & Museum on top of the hill in Port Washington (near
St. Mary's Church).   This is in preparation for the annual International Lighthouse
Lightship Weekend event.    Amateur radio clubs and amateurs around the globe
will be doing the same type of thing as we attempt to contact other lighthouses.

We are registered as US0114 and will be using the W9CQO call sign.
See http://www.illw.net/ for more information about the weekend event.

The ORC will be setting up one 10' X 10' Tent, Club Banner and Operating
Table next to the Lighthouse and LeFrog will be doing the same. We will be
operating, basically on 20m, from 8am Saturday morning, August 17th through
Sunday afternoon, August 18th, but not overnight. We'll probably call it
quits Saturday afternoon around 5pm and Sunday around noon.

Along with an HF Radio, which LeFrog will supply, Tom, AA9XK and Loren,
N9ENR will be supplying Automatic Antenna Tuners. Hopefully, Tom, W9IPR can
provide his DSP Speaker for the event as well. We'll also have D-Star
running along with a dedicated computer for logging.     We plan to use the
new Icom 9100 transceiver as well.

If you're interested in helping out (setting up and/or operating) we are
asking that you contact Bill KA9WRL or myself Tom KC9ONY so we
have an idea of who will be joining us.    We might need help transporting
the tower sections, too.

You're all welcome to join us at the 1860 Light Station & Museum.
Bring your own little cooler with drinks of your choice to the Light Station
and even a sandwich for lunch, although there are plenty of restaurants in
the Port Washington area.  This year, the Maritime Heritage Festival is on
the following weekend, so we won't have any food from their venues.

If you are like me and do not own HF equipment nor have any experience
with HF, don't let that stop you from coming out.    We will get you on the
radio to try it out.    It's all about having fun and learning.   If you need
directions or talk-in, someone will be monitoring the ORC 2m repeater,
146.970 MHz,  (- offset), PL 127.3

This is a non-pressure, non-contest event, so be prepared to just have fun!

WHO: Ozaukee Radio Club and LeFrog

WHAT: International Lighthouse Lightship Weekend special event station

WHERE: 1860 Light Station & Museum
                 311 Johnson Street
                 Port Washington, WI
                 http://www.portwashingtonhistoricalsociety.org/lightstation.htm

WHEN: Friday, August 16th 1pm - 5pm? (until tower is set up)
            Saturday, August 17th  8am - 5 pm operating
            Sunday, August 18th  8am - noon operating
            Sunday, August 18th  noon - 5pm break down equipment

Offline KA9WRL

• ORC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:51:01 PM »
Well, the International Lighthouse/Lightship Weekend was a success!  The ORC and LeFrog radio clubs combined efforts and everything went off without a hitch.  We mustered well over 200 contacts this year, dispite interference from the North American QSO Party.
LeFrog's new all-mode radio, the ICOM IC-9100 was "broken in" in style.  This was our practice run for the radio in preparation for next year's Field Day.  I know there are many features we haven't experimented with, but by next June, we should be 9100 fluent.
Thanks to the many ORC and LeFrog members for their help in setting up Friday afternoon, operating on Saturday & Sunday plus taking everything down Sunday Noon.  The 30-foot Tower and 4-Element Beam took the most effort, but it was well worth it.  Between last year and this year, that set-up raked in over 600 contacts, a lot of them with other Lighthouse Special Event stations!
Participating this year, besides myself, were Tom, AA9XK, Tom, W9VBQ, Tom, KC9ONY, Tom, W9IPR, Loren, N9ENR, Stan, WB9RQR, Nancy, KC9FZK, Al, K9VNM, Steve, W9MCU, Gary, K9DJT, Mark, AB9CD, Kristian, KC9TFP, Art, AC9CD, Dick, AB0VF, Kate, KB0SIO, Jim, AC9FX, Nels, WA9JOB and Lars, N0CALL.
By the way, "Lars" (a Mannequin once owned by Howard and Rosemary Gernetzke, or Gernette in the Milwaukee area) was donated to the Ozaukee County Historical Society by LeFrog to the Lighthouse.  Lars will be working as a "Purser" for years to come on the 2nd level of the museum.
Bill, KA9WRL