Author Topic: Wanted: Heathkit HK-21 operating manual  (Read 6139 times)

Offline KC9ONY

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wanted: Heathkit HK-21 operating manual
« on: July 16, 2013, 09:22:14 PM »
I recently picked up a Heath Pocket Packet HK-21.    It is not working, but I believe that the
onboard battery is shot.   It also has the optional internal battery pack, which is dead, too.
I found the schematic online, but not the owner's or operating manual...at least not for free.

If anyone has a manual, I would love to see it.   Bill, KA9WRL told me that he used to have one
of these units several years ago, but doesn't remember how to operate it, except to say that
programming was different than the Kantronics and MFJ TNC's.

If you are wondering what this little unit looks like, check out this link to an article written in
1989, in pdf format:
http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/heath/73-index/articles/HK-21%20TNC-3-89.pdf
It would go great with an HT for 1200 baud packet.

So, if you have an HK-21 manual, or know where I can find one online for free, let me know.

Tom KC9ONY
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:25:41 PM by KC9ONY »

Offline N9LOO

• ORC Member
  • "Lousy Old Operator"
    • View Profile
    • N9LOO website
Re: Wanted: Heathkit HK-21 operating manual
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »

If you are wondering what this little unit looks like, check out this link to an article written in
1989, in pdf format:
http://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/heath/73-index/articles/HK-21%20TNC-3-89.pdf
It would go great with an HT for 1200 baud packet.

So, if you have an HK-21 manual, or know where I can find one online for free, let me know.

Tom KC9ONY

Very cool to read the article.  It seems as though I had one of these but I can't find it if I did.  It appears that you can just use a serial terminal program to communicate with it but obviously it would be nice to get a copy of the manual.  My searches didn't result in finding a copy either.

Offline KC9ONY

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Heathkit HK-21 operating manual
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:44:21 PM »
I was able to find a pdf copy of a manual.    Lots to read.     I still need to  replace the lithium
battery onboard, and decide if I want to spend money on a replacement for the optional battery pack.   

Tom KC9ONY